Machine Quilting 2-Day Virtual Education Event Via Zoom
Saturday February 20th: 10:00AM – 12:00PM and 1:00PM – 3:00PM
Saturday February 27th: 10:00AM – 12:00PM and 1:00PM – 3:00PM
With Handi Quilter National Educator Debby Brown. See Debby’s bio below.
North Country Quilters & Sew ‘n Vac is thrilled to announce a collection of classes in February that will allow you to experience the world of longarm quilting. All this from the comfort and safety of your own home! If you have ever wondered whether a longarm machine is right for you, or if you’ve recently purchased one and would like to expand your skills, these classes are perfect for you. You’ll learn tips and tricks of the trade that professionals use, and you’ll expand your repertoire of creative quilting techniques. Classes are live and limited to 12 students. Students will be able to interact with the instructor and other students via Zoom.
Class 2-A – Free-Motion Quilting. You Can Do It! Saturday February 20th: 10:00AM – 12:00PM
Class Description: Ready to tackle free-motion quilting? It’s as easy as starting with a few simple shapes! By beginning with drawing, you can develop an inventory of free motion designs that you can stitch out continuously. Fun fills, creative borders and easy blocks will all be demonstrated. Quilting out beautiful designs using free motion techniques will take your skills to the next level.
- Drawing basic free-motion designs in a continuous line
- Scaling fills for backgrounds
- Creating your own edge-to-edge designs
- How to fill borders evenly
- Micro quilting and using different feet
Class 2-D – Fear No Feather! Saturday February 20th: 1:00PM – 3:00PM
Class Description: Love feathers but are afraid to try them? You will conquer your feather fears in this class. We’ll start with easy ways to quilt beautiful feathers. Building off a basic spine, you’ll learn how to draw different types of feather plumes, their stitch paths, and how to make them fit into lots of different spaces. We’ll explore putting the perfect feather into a border and even quilting around the corner. Soon you’ll be quilting feathers on all your quilts!
- Feather backbones and spines
- Feather stitch paths and shapes, making them continuous
- Fitting feathers into blocks and circles
- How to put feathers in a border
- Feathers as an overall quilt design
Class 3-B – Can’t Have Enough Rulers! Saturday February 27th: 10:00AM – 12:00PM
Class Description: Do you love rulers? But are you still looking for new ways to use them? In this class, we’ll focus on building an inventory of design ideas using the HQ VersaTool and other HQ rulers. Point to point quilting using markings already on your quilt – like seams or corners – is a cinch with rulers. We’ll start with ruler basics, then move on to creating beautiful designs for your entire quilt.
- Ruler basics: the right foot, ruler base and ruler
- Point to point quilting using the markings on the rulers
- Using a ruler for a design base on an entire quilt
- HQ VersaTool®: stitch-in-the-ditch, cross-hatch, piano keys, clamshells, and arcs
- Quilting around applique or embroidery with rulers
Class 4-A – Quilting Makes the Quilt (You Make the Quilting!)
Saturday February 27th: 1:00PM – 3:00PM
Class Description: It’s not a quilt till it’s quilted, right? We’ll start with a simple design, then learn how to pull different elements from that design to build a cohesive plan for your quilting. We’ll add echoing, exciting backgrounds, and complementary designs to create a masterpiece. Starting with sketching out your ideas, we’ll move on to marking tools to get all your great ideas on your quilt, and then looking at how thread can really make designs pop.
- Start with a stencil or other basic design, resize and make it fit
- Draw out designs to create a cohesive plan
- Add a little extra to your quilting designs: echo, expand, repeat
- Explore different grids for laying out your design
- Fabric choices and how they can make your designs stand out
- One Class: $40 total
- Two Classes: $70 total
- Three Classes: $95 total
- Four Classes: $115 total
25% Off All Handi Quilter Accessories Purchased During The Event