Machine Quilting 2-Day Handi Quilter In Person Education Event
Friday May 20th: 9:30am – 12:30pm & 1:30pm – 4:30pm
Saturday May 21st: 9:30am – 12:30pm & 1:30pm – 4:30pm
With Handi Quilter’s National Educator Mara Novak. See Mara’s bio below.
North Country Quilters & Sew ‘n Vac is thrilled to announce a collection of in person classes in May that will allow you to experience the world of longarm quilting. If you have ever wondered whether a longarm machine is right for you, or if you’ve recently purchased one and would like to expand your skills, these classes are perfect for you. We have four machines in our showroom to choose from, including the sit-down Sweet Sixteen and the stand–up longarms: Amara with ProStitcher, Moxie with ProStitcher Lite and Simply Sixteen. You’ll learn tips and tricks of the trade that professionals use, and you’ll expand your repertoire of creative quilting techniques. Classes are a combination of lecture, hands-on time, and live demos.
All Attendees will receive a 25% discount on
May 20th: 9:30am – 12:30pm
AM Part One – A Foot Ahead:
Lecture / Demo Class Description: Handi Quilter’s full lineup of feet give you a lot options for quilting projects. This fun workshop lets you see different ways to incorporate techniques with the all the different feet.
Objective: Learn how to incorporate the use of Handi Feet into your quilting projects.
• The many feet available
• Different applications for the feet
• Changing the feet
• Attaching binding while on the frame
AM Part Two – Not Your Average Orange Peel:
Lecture / Demo Class Description: Let’s take a classic design – the orange peel – and spice it up in this fun workshop. You’ll learn how to add creative designs to jazz up this basic quilting design.
Objective: Teach the stitching path for the “continuous curve” design that students can then “upskill” the design by jazzing up the centers with additional designs without breaking the thread. See other shapes that create a fun design with the same pathway.
• The basic stitch path of the continuous curve
• Deciding where a continuous line design would fit well
• How to stitch out the design using free motion or rulers
• How to add interest to the centers with basic center designs while not breaking the thread
• How to use other shapes in the same stitch path to change the design
Friday May 20th: 1:30pm – 4:30pm
PM Part One – Gridwork Not Guesswork:
Lecture / Demo Class Description: Laying out designs using gridwork creates even spacing and uniformity in quilting. In this workshop, you’ll learn how to make your own stencils, explore designs that work well within grids, and tips and tricks for marking grids on your next quilting project.
Objective: Quilting with a grid results in even spacing and uniformity with your quilting.
• Making your own grid stencil
• Applying grids successfully in different size spaces
• Designs conducive for gridwork
• Gridwork for E2E designs
• Marking and removing grids
PM Part Two – Mandala Magic
Lecture / Demo Class Description: Mandalas are a fun trend in quilting today. In this workshop, look at ways to build these beautiful designs using symmetry, starting with a doodle.
Objective: Learn skills needed for building a foundation for confidence in creating intricate and beautiful mandala designs
• Tools & techniques to build the foundation of the mandala
• Understanding symmetry & design
• Safely marking – going from doodle to design
• Understanding how the “inside” (batting) affects the end result
• Tensioning for both sides of the quilt
Three Bs – Backgrounds, Borders & Blocks Saturday May 21st: 9:30am – 12:30pm
Hands On Class Description: Blocks, backgrounds, sashings and borders – these are the basic components of many pieced quilt top, and there are tricks to quilting them with a cohesive overall look, while creating your own personal style. Learn how to select and adapt designs to complement each area, and how to accomplish the quilting efficiently and easily. Tried-and-true fillers and “go-to” designs will be featured.
Objective: Learn how to customize designs to complement each area, and learn how to accomplish the quilting quickly and easily.
• Creating a step-by-step plan for custom quilting your quilt
• Adapt block designs for borders and sashings
• How to handle quilting spaces wider than the frame
• How to create background fills and when to use them
• How to audition, resize, and adapt quilting designs
Ruler Essentials Saturday May 21st: 1:30pm – 4:30pm
Hand On Class Description: If you love precision and consistency in your quilting designs, you will love using design rulers and templates! These handy tools assist in placing designs accurately and stitching them out precisely. Learn to handle rulers and templates safely with the ruler base and Sure Foot, and how to achieve accuracy with the markings. The wide variety of Handi Quilter rulers will inspire you to new design heights.
Objective: Learn the safe way to use rulers & templates. See ways that you can incorporate these tools in your quilting.
• Handle rulers safely
• Understand and use ruler markings for precision and accuracy
• Use piecing lines and marking tools to build ruler design confidence
• VersaTool quilting: stitch-in-the-ditch, cross-hatch, piano keys, clamshells and arcs
• Apply binding with the HQ VersaTool
* One Class: $60 total
* Two Classes: $100 total
* Three Classes: $135 total
* Four Classes: $160 total